• The housing situation in Cordova is reflective of the type of housing pattern in all the municipalities of the Province of Cebu if not the entire Philippines, which is characterized by the predominance of single-detached dwelling units. Recently, however residential subdivision projects have become a thriving industry in Cordova. Given that Cordova has a limited land area, multi-storey and raw house designs have slowly replaced the traditional housing patterns.
• Most houses in the mainland of the municipality are made of galvanized iron or tile roofs and concrete walls. However, the dwelling units in Gilutongan Island and the temporary dwellers (squatters) in the mainland are mostly made of light materials, such as nipa roofing and wooden bamboo walling.
• Under Republic Act 7279 or the Urban Development and Housing pattern in all the municipalities of the Province of Cebu if not the entire Philippines, which is characterized by the predominance of single-detached dwelling units. Recently, however residential subdivision projects have become a thriving industry in Cordova. Given that Cordova has a limited land area, multi-storey and raw house designs have slowly replaced the traditional housing patterns. galvanized iron or tile roofs and concrete walls. However, the dwelling units in Gilutongan Island and the temporary dwellers (squatters) in the mainland are mostly made of light materials, such as nipa roofing and wooden bamboo walling. Act of 1992, the real estate developers are compelled to allocate at least twenty percent (20%) of the total land area or total project, at the option of the developer for socialized housing projects. This is pursuant to the balanced housing requirement. In this connection, the Municipality of Cordova was able to implement socialized housing projects for the poor and homeless Cordovanhons. The present socialized housing site is in barangay San Miguel, Cordova, Cebu. This is being developed and financed by Aboitizland, Inc. (developer of Ajoya Subdivision) and My Van Properties, Inc (developer of Andalucia Crest Subdivision.
• Other recognized socialized housing sites in Cordova include the Camolinas Socialized Project and the Catarman Urban Poor Project. BLISS housing project and town homes in Ibabao, Cordova, Cebu also exist.
• To date, Cordova has no public hospital but the Proposed Cordova Public Hospital, which will be annexed to Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center, is under construction. It is located in Pilipog, Cordova, Cebu.
• Health services are available at the Rural Health Unit of Cordova. It is manned by one (1) Doctor, one (1) Public Health Nurse, one (1) Dentist and a Dental Aide, six (6) Midwives, a Sanitary Inspector and a Licensed Medical Technologist.
• The Rural Health Unit is situated in barangay Poblacion, Cordova, Cebu and is complemented by the Barangay Health Stations of Gabi, Alegria, Gilutongan, Day-as, Bangbang and Buagsong.
• Patients in emergency cases and those that need the facilities of a hospital are brought to Lapu-Lapu City, Mandaue or Cebu City hospitals. However, some patients especially those suffering from serious illnesses are brought to hospitals in Cebu City where better and sophisticated health equipment are available.
• Services rendered by these health workers include the following:
1. Medical and Dental Consultation and Treatment;
3. Sputum Collection;
4. Health Education;
6. Environmental Sanitation Campaign;
7. Family Planning Information;
8. Operation Timbang;
9. Other health related activities, such as the Issuance of Health Certificates, Sanitary Permits and Health
Certificates, attendance to Child deliveries and Dental Health Care.
• One of the primary functions of the RHU is to promote environmental sanitation. Thus, the office of the sanitary inspector heads the extensive campaign on environmental sanitation, proper waste disposal and correct and proper health practices. To execute this function thoroughly, several programs and projects are implemented in the entire municipality which includes clean and green program, distribution of toilet bowls to sitios, garbage collection, proper dumping of garbage, and zero-waste project through segregation.
• Another important concern of the municipality is the nutrition of children, thus various nutrition programs are implemented by the municipality to answer to cater to this need.
• The Municipality of Cordova has eleven (11) public elementary schools, two (2) private elementary schools, one (1) public high school, one (1) private high school, and one (1) public college. All barangays have daycare centers.
• Protective Services in the municipality are provided by the 27 personnels of Philippine National Police (PNP). Eighteen of which are policemen and nine are firemen.
Social Welfare Services
• The municipality’s community welfare and social services are undertaken by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). Services extended include Assistance to Individuals in Crisis Situation (AICS), Day Care Support, Seniors Citizen’s Care, Livelihood Projects, e.g. candle making, wax making, Trainings and Marriage Enrichment Seminars.
• The Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office, which is now headed by the Social Welfare Officer and assisted by the Daycare Workers, attends to the needs of the children, wives, depressed families, and senior citizens.
• Cordova is also a recipient of the KALAHI Program and the Sustainable Livelihood Projects under the Bottoms-Up Budgetting Program.